Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fashion and Exams.

Exams: A test or an examination (or "exam") is an assessment, often administered on paper or on the computer, intended to measure the test-takers' or respondents' (often a student) knowledge, skills, aptitudes, or classification in many other topics.


I'm taking my half-hour break (just finished going through Mathematics revision) before continuing on to Business and Management revision and I've decided to write a post on the exams. My friend today suggested I posted one on what to wear when taking one. 
I figured this would be an interesting post as people would usually dress up more for comfortable than for functionality. So here are some tips:


1. Be comfortable, but get out of your pyjamas.
"mmm. Just ran out to get some Starbucks but couldn't be bothered to get changed out of my comfies."
It's all too common for people to dress in sweats and uggs before taking their exams. Why? Because they're comfortable of course. I get it, sitting 2-3 hours at one time writing about stuff like MATH and HISTORY could be a little uncomfortable but why is this a not-so-good idea? Because you'll feel like you're going back to bed. But you're not. You're taking your exams.
So dress comfortably but get out of your comfort clothes! It will only make you feel too relaxed and like you just got out of bed. Trust me you don't want to feel like this. An alternative could be a pair of comfy jeans and a top (whether it be a shirt or a tank). Pair an outerwear with this outfit so you can easily get warmer or cooler whenever you feel. 


Rachel Bilson knows how to take her exams. Professional and casual.
Since it's getting cooler where I am, a jacket or blazer could be nice as they will keep you warm as well as provide the flexibility in movement (on your arms - you'll be writing). Don't wear big coats or anything, it'll be too much of a hassle.


2. Get those hair out of your face. Nicely.
Stress + bad weather + hand on forehead constantly + TAKING YOUR EXAMS = hair in your face/sticking on your forehead/oily/sweaty/you get the point. Don't just stick on a headband and go (well I guess you could, but what's the harm in looking nice?). Also headbands give you headaches, and aches behind your ears due to the pressure on them. It's uncomfortable.
I think it's always a good idea to get your hair out of the way completely by having it in a:

Bun
My favorite. When done neatly, there will be nothing sticking out of your head, everything will be held in place.
Ponytail
I like to do mine a bit higher because when my hair constantly brush against my neck and shoulder it gets really uncomfortable, but it gets the job done.
Braid
Pretty! And voila, no hair on thy face.
3. Accesorize? Maybe not.


You'd probably die if I gave you a punch. Feel the wrath of my arm-things.
I would steer clear from big chunky bangles, long necklaces, dangly earrings or a billion of rings on the day you're taking your exams. Not only will they make noise, they will be quite distracting and uncomfortable when you're taking your exams. I always take off my bracelets before I write because it gets too loud and uncomfortable. Long dangly earrings can get caught in your hair, as you're brushing it away from your face (BUT YOU SHOULDN'T BECAUSE I TOLD YOU GUYS TO HAVE IT UP RIGHT?). Rings can just get painful when you're writing. So, no-no to accessories. 


Okay, I have to go now and revise for my other exams. Wish me luck!


Happy exams-writing,
Tammie.


"Academics tend to have wonderfully infantile senses of humor."
- John Lithgow

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! I've always thought about how/what should I wear for exams... Not too casual (no heels, not lots of jewelry) but not in pijamas! Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh i love this!! Here at my University in Minnesota, the freshmen dorms are connected to the rest of the buildings so they never have to go outside. A LOT of them go out in their pajamas, literally.
    I agree about accessories. I often wear a bracelet and forget i'd put it on and end up taking it off because it slows me down!!

    Charlotte xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I've always thought about how/what should I wear for exams... Not too casual (no heels, not lots of jewelry) but not in pijamas! Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Be sure to leave your thoughts and comments :)

Love,
Tamara

 
© Tamara Suprobo Putri, Word[Ad]Dict 2011. All rights reserved. Borrowed photos must be linked back to this page.